What to do with a large quanitity of root vegetables? Well, the only logical answers are to stew it or casserole it. Here’s my basic recipe.
- 500g Shin Beef, Diced
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Parsnip
- 2 Onions
- Fresh Rosemary
- Bay Leaf
- Beef Stock Liquid
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil, fry off the beef and onion with a little rosemary. Add to a casserole dish.
- Scrub/peel carrots and parsnip. Add to casserole dish.
- Add rosemary and bay leaf.
- Add enough made up stock from liquid to cover meat to cover contents.
- Cook at 200oC for 1 hour, then drop to 80oC continue cooking for 1.5 hours.
- Mix 1/3 suet to 2/3 self raising flour for as many dumplings as you want. Add a little salt, and rosemary if you wish.
- Add water to the dumpling mix until a sticky, moist mixture is reached.
- Spoon mixture into casserole dish. Either leave of surface or push under surface.
- Turn oven back to 200oC and return casserole dish to oven for 30 minutes.
Just before adding the stock and committing to the oven:
Fresh rosemary – no garden or kitchen should be without it: