I’m Kian Ryan. A freelance .NET programmer and fencing coach.
Occasionaly, I’ll draw odd little cartoons.
Photo © Andrew Williams
- FIE Coaching Course in Budapest - I’m just back from Budapest from a 10 day coach education course for sabre coaches. It’s been an interesting experience, both in terms of the fencing and the culture and is one that I would recommend for any coach that has the opportunity to attend. You may be surprised (or not) to find that the […]
- Vim-Csharp Updated - I’ve updated Vim-CSharp with a few new features. The original aim of this project was to eventually provide autocomplete support for .NET projects. Omnisharp does this so well, there’s no point in duplicating effort. Vim-Csharp is now focussed on increasing developer productivity through better syntax highlighting, snippet completion, and any other time saving exercises I […]
- Productivity – IDEs vs Text Editors is Just The Tip - A few months ago, Rob Conery wrote a blog post discussing his career choices, his choice of .NET over PHP and his reasons for doing so. For many .NET developers, most of this will ring familiar, they were already VB6 or ASP developers, and .NET was the next logical choice. My reasons were somewhat different, […]
- Muplug – The Smallest UK USB Charger On the Planet? - I’ve written previously about ThinPlug, which is an excellent UK folding plug design which comes as either a kettle lead, or as a folding USB plug. When I wrote the post, I was aware of the MuPlug, but was disappointed at the lack of kettle lead option. Whilst putting together my go-everywhere pouch, I was […]
- Configuring Postfix For Local Development - Whilst working through “Agile Web Development With Rails 4″, I was genuinely surprised to find the author advocating configuring your local development environment to send e-mail via an external SMTP server. To me, this is a bad idea, since there’s a real risk of unintentionally delivering mail to real accounts. To mitigate this, it’s worth […]