I’m Kian Ryan. A freelance .NET programmer and fencing coach.
Occasionaly, I’ll draw odd little cartoons.
Photo © Andrew Williams
- Poppies, Future Soldiers, and Remembrance - This week in a press release the Royal British legion published a photograph of four children bearing big smiles, holding giant poppies wearing bright yellow t-shirts. On one of the t-shirts were the words, “My Mum & Dad are Veterans”, where the remaining three bore the phrase “Future Soldier”. Today I was in town, meeting […]
- Folding UK Plugs - Anyone who has spent any time travelling with laptops in the UK will tell you there are two major bug bears – weight, and three pin plugs. Three pin plugs are a scourge upon the earth, their “safety” offset by the annoying bulk and tendency to prod, poke and tear in to whatever is in […]
- Virgin Media Replies With Respect To Their T&Cs - For those unfamiliar, Virgin Media has a potentially very wide reaching clause in their T&Cs (Section D, Part 1, Line h). I wrote about it here. I was quite surprised by how much noise this generated, journalists (who could be affected over this) have been discussing it on Twitter. Virgin Media have replied a few […]
- Checking Your Work E-Mail on Virgin Media Residential Could Get You Cut Off - Update Since writing this post, Jim at Virgin has been in contact to clarify their understanding of the terms and conditions. Jim’s first reply can be seen as a comment to this post, and his second reply has been posted here. Jim has been absolutely first rate in communicating over this issue, and I hope […]
- Disabling Narrator in Windows 8 - It is far, far too easy to hit Windows-Enter and turn on the Narrator, especially when you’ve got shortcuts defined in Visual Studio for Alt-Enter and Ctrl-Enter. To permanently disable starting the narrator, add the following registry key: Thanks to David Zhang for this one.