I’m Kian Ryan. A freelance .NET programmer and fencing coach.
Occasionaly, I’ll draw odd little cartoons.
Photo © Andrew Williams
- Newsnight and the Year Of Code – A Response - On the 3rd of February Michael Gove called for state schools to be run more like private schools. More exams, longer hours (that’ll at least please parents), and more sport and debating societies. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Gove thinks that there is only one way for schools to operate, and everything else is […]
- Minor Obsession – Every Day Carry - I have a small confession, I’ve been bit of an EDC (Every Day Carry) obsessive for a number of months. I blame Jeff Atwood. After reading his post on EDC , I recognised a bit of a kindred spirit. As someone who works two very different jobs and spends a significant amount of time on […]
- One Resolution for 2014 - Be Better.
- Poppies, Future Soldiers, and Remembrance - This week in a press release the Royal British legion published a photograph of four children bearing big smiles, holding giant poppies wearing bright yellow t-shirts. On one of the t-shirts were the words, “My Mum & Dad are Veterans”, where the remaining three bore the phrase “Future Soldier”. Today I was in town, meeting […]
- Folding UK Plugs - Anyone who has spent any time travelling with laptops in the UK will tell you there are two major bug bears – weight, and three pin plugs. Three pin plugs are a scourge upon the earth, their “safety” offset by the annoying bulk and tendency to prod, poke and tear in to whatever is in […]