I’m Kian Ryan. A freelance .NET programmer and fencing coach.
Occasionaly, I’ll draw odd little cartoons.
Photo © Andrew Williams
- Offa’s Dyke – Part 1 of Many - It’s getting late in the year, and I wanted to try and get a route in with a bit of serious mileage before it became prohibitively cold to bivvy. I wanted something I could get to (and get away from) by public transport, and ideally something linear, rather than circular. The first section of Offa’s […]
- Chromecast Audio – Quick Review - This may be one of the quickest reviews I’ve ever posted. Back in 2014 I purchased a Chromecast, and it’s been nearly permanently connected to my TV ever since. Which is more than I can say for the Amazon Fire Stick. It’s simple, it works. Open app on phone, press icon, pictures and sound appear […]
- Running a Modern, Connected, Fencing Competition - Modern fencing competitions are elaborate affairs. Major events are televised (or streamed), results are instantly published online and in some cases, competitor information is displayed on the piste as the fencers compete. Fencers and referees are notified of where and when they need to be by remote screens linked to remote monitors. Not all events […]
- Building a Youtube Live Streaming Camera With A Raspberry Pi - For the ManCadet, we built a couple of cheap streaming cameras to stream content to Youtube Live. You can see the quality of the output here. To do this, we used Raspberry Pis with the camera module and “official” case. We stuck them to the wall with gaffer tape and positioned the camera module with […]
- Helvellyn via Striding Edge - Route on Strava “Let’s do Helvellyn”, he said. “Let’s do Striding Edge”, he said. At no point did he say, “oh, and let’s do a dozen other summits at the same time”. Bloody hell. Let’s rewind a bit. After our rather fun trip to Snowdon, Nick and I started discussing our next trip whilst returning […]